Saturday, June 27, 2015

Applying for Canadian Citizenship



citizenship application.jpg

Source:http://canadaimmigrationlawyers.ca/news



Applying for Canadian Citizenship


When I did my Canadian Citizenship application (5 years ago or so), I was very excited even though I was not very keen to gather all the documentation required, some of my documentation was in Brazil and I could not remember well the exact dates. Now is my fiancé time, voilá!  :0)

  1. Read very careful  documentation checklist and procedures on how to apply. Note that application fee increased quite significantly.
  2. Only submit your documentation if it is complete and if you have lived in Canada long enough to be eligible for citizenship, better do not risk to have the process delayed for missing documentation.
    1. To be safe I submitted my application with registered parcel that required signature upon arrival at the immigration office ( it was my way to ensure that the my documentation was received, best money spent!)
  3. You must be a permanent resident (PR) for at least two years before you can apply.
  4. You must live in Canada for at least three of the four years before you apply (there is a rumor that this time will increase).
    1. You can use  residence calculator to check if you comply:
      1. In my case, I requested my travel history to aeroplan of the last 4 years, it was free, not sure if they are still providing it.  I also had e-tickets at my email, and of course the stamps in my passport.  
      2. You may count ½ day time before you become PR and 1 full day after receive your PR
  5. You need to proof that your skills to speak English or French.
    1. I submitted my transcript of the  Canadian University and all Certificates received since I arrive in Canada.
    2. Please check item 1 for required documentation
  6. You must do the Canadian Citizenship Test

No comments :

Post a Comment